What to Do If You Aren’t Receiving Child Custody Payments

Even when each parent is doing their part, child custody, child support and other co-parenting agreements can be challenging to manage. If your ex-partner is declining to contribute regardless of the court order, this can cause a physical, emotional and financial strain on the custodial parent. Below the experienced and professional attorneys at Rodier Family Law discuss the route to take if you aren’t receiving child support from your ex-partner.

Speak To Your Attorney About Your Legal Options

A child support order must be followed after it has been made. If you aren’t getting court-ordered child support payments, you should contact your attorney for assistance in enforcing the nonpaying parent to pay. There are many different ways to approach your ex-partner legally. Below we discuss the legal tools available to help enforce payment.

Wage Garnishment

Wage garnishment is a legal practice in which an employer is ordered by a court order to withhold a portion of the non-custodial parent’s salary to pay child support. In order for your ex-partner to break a wage garnishment, they will have to seek legal assistance. 

Contempt of Court Decrees

The Maryland courts often demand stringent adherence to a child support order. A parent ordered to pay child support can be held in contempt of court if they do not follow the provisions of the ruling.

Writ of Execution

A writ of execution is used to seize the non-custodial parent’s real and personal property, or to prevent them from accessing or using personal property, or to have it removed from the property if they are not paying child support. 

Contact Rodier Family Law Today For Assistance

When an ex-partner fails to pay child support, the financial stress can be overwhelming. Deciding what is best to help you receive the missed payments can be difficult. We understand the frustration that comes with an ex-partner not paying child support and that’s why the experienced and professional attorneys at Rodier Family Law are here to guide and support you through the process. To request a consultation with our attorneys, call (410) 803-1839.